Spring Fling is BFM’s celebration of our community and the season. It’s also our Meeting’s biggest fund raiser. Proceeds go to the scholarship fund for Ramallah Friends School in Palestine. Founded in 1869, its mission is to provide “educational excellence based upon the Quaker values of equality, simplicity and peace.” The school is a beacon of hope in a troubled land, and is immensely grateful for our support. Spring Fling, which engages scores of us, is built around four main activities, all of which welcome volunteers, donations, and customers.
The activities are:
• Silent Auction: This wide array of donated goods and services includes many kinds of items, such as household goods, jewelry, art work, photography, gift certificates to restaurants or theaters; services such as gardening consultations, handyman services, music lessons, homemade food or baked items; social events such as a dinner and/or discussion in your home, a wine and cheese gathering, or a film and discussion in your home. Donation of time at someone’s vacation home can result in a major contribution. Be imaginative, and think about what you have in your home and no longer need, and about the talents and gifts you offer that could be helpful to others. We need to know about your contributions or donations for the silent auction as soon as possible. We would like your donations by April 1 to prepare them for the online Buy It Now Sale from April 16 to 22.
• Middle Eastern Buffet. Delicious lunch offerings, for which we appreciate your good-will charitable contribution.
• “Bazaar” Rummage Sale. This is a chance for you to declutter your house of items you no longer use. We help you find someone else who can put them to good use. Note: any child attending Spring Fling receives a $5 gift certificate to the sale. Donations of items for sale should be brought to BFM on Saturday, April 27, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. so we have a chance to price them. Please only donate items valued at $5 or more.
• Perennial Plant Sale.
• Ramallah Friends tee-shirts and Palestinian olive oil will be sold as well.
• If you are willing to work but don’t have a strong preference where, check with various coordinators to see where the need is greatest.
• If you can’t come to the event, donate via the Social Concerns Box for April. See: